Accountant - Christ Church, Hudson
The part-time (~15 hours/week) Accountant is responsible for all aspects of accounting, through financial statements, at Christ Church Episcopal, Hudson, OH, a tax exempt entity. S/he provides oversight of, and all accounting functions for, accounts receivable (church pledges and offerings, rental income, misc), accounts payable, payroll, invested funds, general ledger, and financial reporting. The individual reports administratively to the Rector and receives direction from the Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer.
NOTE: In accordance with Christ Church Episcopal policy, this individual should be outside of parish membership.
Essential Job Responsibilities
● Familiarity with and adherence to Diocese of Ohio’s Business Practices for Parishes (revised and adopted by Diocesan Council 10/20/16, effective 1/1/17).
● Familiarity with Diocese of Ohio website’s Finance area.
● Maintenance/oversight of member contribution records, including weekly posting, quarterly statements, and year-end reconciliation.
● Record/deposit all other (non-investment) income.
● Oversee weekly (occasionally more frequent) bank deposit.
● Accounts Payable processing, including monthly Diocesan Assessment, from invoice approval through payment distribution.
● Manage Clergy and Lay Employee payroll through outside (PayChex) service.
● Manage Clergy and Lay Employee benefits.
● Maintain Clergy and Lay employment records (except performance related documents).
● Record/post all financial records (income and expense, including payroll) to General Ledger.
● Prepare journal entries monthly, obtain approvals, and then post to General Ledger.
● Compile the appropriate resources for monthly bank reconciliations to be done by Treasurer or his/her designee.
● Complete all Diocese of Ohio reporting requirements, including annual Parochial Report.
● Prepare and analyze monthly financial statements for Treasurer and Vestry.
● Prepare quarterly (or on demand) balance sheet for Treasurer.
● Work with Rector and designees to draft annual operating budget.
● Support all stewardship activities, annual and special campaigns, planned giving efforts, etc.. Generate reports as requested/needed.
● Prepare Annual Meeting financial and statistical reports as requested.
● Work with Investment Committee to appropriately receive, deposit, record and maintain invested gifts and bequests.
● Maintain all records of invested assets as to permanently restricted, temporarily restricted, or unrestricted status. Provide reports as requested.
● Maintain current bank signature cards and information.
● Maintain an orderly financial filing system and follow recommended record retention guidelines.
● Reconcile petty cash fund.
Other Job Responsibilities
● Coordinate financial volunteers.
● Attend meetings when requested (i.e. Vestry, Investment Committee, Stewardship, etc.).
● Arrange and provide oversight for annual audit.
● Suggest ways to improve bookkeeping.
● Effectively collaborate with the Treasurer, Wardens and Rector.
● Perform accurate, high quality work in accordance with all church and federal guidelines/regulations.
● Manage sensitive information and confidential matters, records and information with the utmost of integrity and discretion.
● Follow and adhere to standard policies and procedures.
● Work reliably as an individual contributor who can work successfully unsupervised.
● Two (2) or more years previous bookkeeping or accounting experience in a business, preferably in church or non-profit entity accounting
● Knowledge of Federal forms to be submitted quarterly and / or yearly
● Computer literacy / typing skills (including familiarity with Quick Books and/or similar accounting software, and solid experience using Excel)
● Ability to learn and use the financial system in use by the Church, currently Church Windows
● Ability to maintain confidentiality
● Attention to detail and delivery of quality work.
● Planning and organizing.
● Integrity and honesty.
● Good listening skills and follow-through on instructions.
● Effective written and verbal communication skills.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the parish.
Resumes can be sent to the Rev. Charlotte Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org