Our three (3) priority areas for 2021 remain focused on the Yemeni Civil War, Abolishing the Death Penalty and Human Trafficking
You will recognize some of these suggestions from past editions. They’re still important and timely to add our prayers, study, calls and letters. As you may know, responses pro or against are counted diligently by the staffs of the legislatures and provided to the legislators or Governor if applicable. Every contact matters…you have made a
- Contact your 2 Ohio U.S. Senators Brown and Portman and your House representative to take legal action to reestablish Congress’ legitimate role in authorizing acts of war, as provided in Public Law 93-147 (11/7/1973), and to carefully consider a bipartisan bill introduced by Senators Kaine and Young to repeal the outdated 1991 and 2002 War Resolutions that have led to “forever wars” in the Middle East.
- U.S. Attacks in Syria in February ordered by President Biden rekindled this effort.
- Contact your Congressional representatives and the White House to have them take action to end arms sales to United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia considering their continued offensive use to fuel the Yemen conflict. The Biden Administration has paused all arms sales to the U.A.E and Saudi Arabia to study the situation. The WSJ has noted many of the sales may ultimately move forward as long as restrictions are in place to not use the military equipment in the 6+ year civil war in Yemen. A current view as of 4/21 from the NY Times is here. Sales to Saudi Arabia proposed to be scaled back to be used for “defensive purposes. This review by Brookings is more comprehensive.
- UAE arms sales currently still in limbo
- Item 1: UAE still deeply involved in Yemen despite claims of withdrawal, experts say - Middle East Eye
- More Congressional and civil society groups hesitancy on sales to UAE as of 5/15.
- Help the innocent children in Yemen in their continuing struggle with floods, malnutrition, disease, water shortages, poverty and violence through UNICEF and other global health organizations.
- Doctors Without Borders is valiantly working in Yemen to help women and children receive critical medical care in Yemen. We can help DWB in their efforts under extreme conditions.
- Support the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) efforts in Yemen, esp. Covid19, by donating
- Become familiar with the work of the Yemen Accountability Project at Case Western University’s Cox International Law Center. In September 2020, YAP published its White Paper #1, “Aiding and Abetting: Holding States, Corporations, and Individuals Accountable for War Crimes in Yemen” that explores the atrocities that have led to the loss of over 100,000 lives since 2015 and offers policy proposals for accountability actions. Recently released White Paper #2 “Starvation: Building the Case For Prosecuting Starvation Crimes In Yemen”. A webinar on this White Paper #2 is available here. This material provides background on accountability for war crimes and crimes against humanity in general as well as in Yemen.
- And More: New U.N. Envoy Hans Grundberg’s Yemen comments (new)
We have continued meeting virtually with retired former Suffragan Bishop Jay Magness, who had authored the previous (and only)
GC Resolution specifically on Yemen (2018-B013). We’ve been meeting on Zoom commiserating on a path to peace in Yemen, with Episcopal Public Policy Network (EPPN) staff, and representative of the Middle East Partnership in the Office of the Presiding Bishop. We met for a planning session on Monday, September 13 to discuss/plan concrete proposals. Also included in this meeting was AB Michael Lewis, Archdeacon Bill Schwartz, Rt. Rev. “Jay” Magness, The Rev. David Copley, Global Partnerships of the Episcopal Church; Bruce Freeman, Episcopal Peace Fellowship; Jenny Grant, Global Partnerships of the Episcopal Church, Rev. Christopher Bishop in Iraq with SWIC (Stand with Iraqi Christians) and others. Next meeting of the Yemen Action Group in November. We reviewed the great work of Rev. Christopher Bishop in Iraq with SWIC (Stand with Iraqi Christians); possible production of a TEC Yemen webinar; likely focus on presence in Aden area, Christ Church, and Ras Morbat Clinic with the diverse, largely Muslim Yemeni population. Funding foe a new Priest at Christ Church, Aden and for continued funding for the successful eye clinic was discussed. Focus on becoming more involved in the Aden area in a communal sense in terms of advocacy, presence, and long-term mission
. Emphasis on long-term Christian witness in Yemen. A trip to Aden was discussed as a possibility, as the city is in safer area. Also, the need for a new GC Resolution was mentioned. Saudi and Irandirect talks promising, but no change in dynamics. Aden may become a city of more important natonal influence. Chris Bishop noted the story of Yemen needs to be told. $150,000 for a new proest needed for 3 years. Set up a 501c3 for financial support. Support from conservative Christians could be important.
Way to Donate to Ras Morbat Eye Clinic!
Anti-Death Penalty-Change is in the Wind
Suggested content of your letter to newspapers:
- In such a divisive political climate, it's incredible to see both sides of the aisle coming together on the issue of death penalty repeal.
- The fact that Ohio conservatives are stepping up to repeal Ohio's death penalty is great. I think repealing the death penalty certainly represents conservative Ohioan values of being pro-life and fiscally responsible.
- I love seeing the momentum for repeal building across the state! It's amazing to see all communities - conservatives, faith leaders, lawmakers, former office holders, liberals, etc. - creating a buzz for repealing Ohio's death penalty.
· Send a letter, or email to Governor DeWine and ask him to grant clemency for Gregory Lott, recommended for clemency
on May 2020
by the Ohio Parole Board. The victim’s
family provided testimony asking that Mr. Lott, who is intellectually disabled, not be executed. It has been one year since clemency was recommended by the Parole Board. This delay is cruel not only for Mr. Lott, but for the families involved.
o Inquiry re: status made to Karen Kasler, Statehouse News. She indicated, and she is correct, if an execution date is moved up, the clemency appeal starts all over again, even if the Board voted in the affirmative to grant clemency. She reported on this May, 2020. Thank you Karen! My phone calls to Parole Board are not answered to date as of 9/17/2021
· Send a note of support to Elwood Jones, on death row in Ohio since 1997.
He has been waiting for a new court hearing for a new trial based on new evidence
and a confession by another man. The hearing now may
occur in 2021. Mr. Jones is scheduled for execution on December 6, 2023.
Elwood Jones (change.org)
Address support letters to:
Elwood Jones # A339441,
Chillicothe Correctional Institution
P.O. Box 5500
Chillicothe, OH 45601
Sign the Petition
to support Elwood’s new trial!!
Per Attorney General Garland: “Serious concerns have been raised about the continued use of the death penalty across the country, including arbitrariness in its application, disparate impact on people of color, and the troubling number of exonerations in capital and other serious cases…”.
Human Trafficking-Support Your Local Human Trafficking Efforts!
- Suggested actions are to write your Congresspersons, legislators and/or Mike DeWine, Governor of Ohio, and President Joe Biden and ask them to please initiate action to end the death penalty in their respective jurisdictions (Federal/State). President Biden has indicated his support for ending the death penalty. A total abolition nationwide would require congressional approval. He can end the Federal executions “…by the stroke of a pen!”
- And the Canadian perspective: Cruel, Unusual, and Costly: The Death Penalty’s Got To Go
- Update from Ohio Attorney General Yost and his Human Trafficking Initiative
- SB 431 (Create Sexual Exploitation Database)
Signed by Governor DeWine-Previously referred elements here as SB 13, this bill “…requires a juvenile court in specified circumstances to hold a delinquency complaint in abeyance in certain prostitution or human trafficking cases, to provide that the trafficking in persons elements that apply to a victim under age 16 also
apply to a victim who is age 16 or 17. Thank you to all who wrote your representative to urge this unfortunate anomaly in Ohio law be corrected.
- Send a note to Senator Brown to thank him for introducing bipartisan Trafficking Survivors Housing Act of 2021 (new). SB 2049, a modified version of a similar bill previously introduced in 2019 (The Protecting Rights of Those Exploited by Coercive Trafficking (PROTECT) Act)
Special Alert: Covid 19 and its deadly variants are still putting significant stress on organizations aiding trafficked person in Greater Cleveland. How you can help: Salvation Army and Renee Jones Empowerment Center are still seeking donations of money, clothing and personal hygiene items. To volunteer or become a mentor at the RJEC, contact Renee Jones at 216/417-0823. The Cleveland Rape Crisis Center is also seeking volunteers and donations. (new) A new Human Trafficking Drop-in Center located at 10450 Superior Avenue is now open. Help the Drop-In Center provide needed toiletries, clothing, towels, phone cards, etc. by visiting the Amazon page that CRCC has developed so you can directly help the victims of human trafficking. Amazon Link
- **Of concern to all of us: “The child sex trade is a global crisis. Far-right conspiracy theorists are harassing, distracting and intimidating the organizations fighting to end it.”-Huffington Post
Suggest writing your Representative/Senators to indicate your concern with Q’Anon and their continuing efforts to disrupt legitimate, professional efforts to end human trafficking.
The following are additional EPF areas of interest for possible study and action:
Gun Violence (A bad year continues)
As of August, 470 mass shootings fit the Mass Shooting Tracker project criterion, leaving 482people total dead and 1,927 injured, for a total of 2,409 total victims (including the shooter(s).
We pray for all the victims of senseless gun violence.
- Contact your 2 U.S. Senate representatives Brown and Portman and especially Mitch McConnell and ask them to please pass/support universal gun background checks acts, passed by the House of Representatives as H.R. 8 Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019 and H.R. 1112 Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2019. Currently passed House and both stalled when referred to Senate earlier this year.
- FYI! United States to Fund Gun Violence Research after 20-year Freeze. Update July, 2021
- Suggested Study re: Ohio gun legislation in progress:
House Democrats released a new Bill HB 38
which, among other actions, would repeal the recent expansion of the Ohio Castle Doctrine. After 2 years of virtually no action on gun control in Ohio following the mass murders in Dayton, the bill
in the State and Local Government Committee. Governor DeWine’s proposals have gone nowhere. Write to your Ohio House or Senate Representative and urge consideration of this legislation. Or, contact Leader Emilia Sykes, House minority leader, to express your support of current House gun control efforts.
House Democratic Leader Emilia Sykes-Akron (the centeraquare.com)
· President Biden has restored $235 million in funds for Palestine, restoring part of assistance cut by former President Trump.
Key questions continue to be: 1/what exactly is the role of U.S. and is this a “Peace”
Agreement; what Palestinian lands might be annexed in the future? 3/what happens to Palestinian-owned land? 4/ Israeli citizenship for Palestinians? 5/would this in effect be a one-state or two-state solution? and 6/what is the response worldwide to this latest action by Israel/U.S.? Note: “Study the current dialogue on the viability of a one-state or 2-state solution to the Israeli/Palestine situation. Here is one example
of this dialogue on Zoom.
- Sadly, while annexation is technically on hold, new Israeli settlements are still being added in Palestinian-controlled areas, referred to as “de facto annexation…on steroids”. Seems that strategy is of Israel continuing to add settlements, but saying annexation is on hold for now. Trojan annexations?
- Check out Peter Beinart’s July 8, 2020 article in the N.Y. Times “I No Longer Believe in a Jewish State” for a different perspective
Israeli Soldiers Confront Palestinian Woman re: An Unapproved Animal Shed
Suggested Background 1/ “A Founding Generation of Looters-New Research on the Israeli Theft of Palestinian Property in 1948”.
To watch this video webinar, go here.
Sponsored by the Foundation for Middle East Peace (FMEP)
“In a newly-published book (discussed in recent blockbuster Haaretz article), Israeli historian Adam Raz shatters the “conspiracy of silence” that surrounds the widespread Jewish looting of Palestinian property that took place in 1948. Drawing from materials he found in more than 30 archives, Raz documents how in the period around the 1948 War, Jewish civilians – who after the war became the founding generation of the state of Israel – pillaged private Palestinian property throughout the land. Raz also documents how, as the looting took place in full public view, Jewish leaders – including David Ben Gurion – knew what was happening and, even as some expressed disapproval, did nothing to stop it.”
Israeli/Palestine webinar of interest to many was also sponsored by the Foundation for Middle East Peace (FMEP).Find out more here: https://fmep.org/event/annexation-and-the-aftermath-of-the-u-s-election-analysis-expectations/
3/ Finally, join the Episcopal Peace Fellowship’s Palestine-Israel Network (PIN), for ways to engage in study and advocacy in this international struggle. Palestine Israel Network (epfnational.org)
General Info for You:
: It’s easy: email via their websites or call directly; it does
make a difference! Taking action on just 1 measure…or more, makes a real difference.
If you get a response from your representative or others, please let us know. Their responses are often insightful and valuable for follow-ups.
1600 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20500
This link still works and is current! https://www.facebook.com/joebiden/
And this is current! (19) Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) / Twitter
***Suggestion #2! Want to keep up to date on these events above? Ask to receive our unique EPF Semi-Monthly (2X per month) News Feed re: our priority areas (and more!), gleaned from a variety of sources. Curated by Catherine Smyth-Zajc of our EPF team, just let her know you’d like to opt-in to the EPF bimonthly news feed: email@example.com. It’s our current source for many of the pieces of information we all need to go from simple observation to action.
Notes from the September 5 Zoom Mini Meeting
Notes from the July 11, 2021 Zoom Mini Meeting
Notes from the June 6, 2021 Zoom Mini Meeting
Notes from the May 2, 2021 Zoom Mini Meeting
Notes from the April 7, 2021 Zoom Mini Meeting
Notes from the March 7, 2021 Zoom Mini Meeting
Notes from the February 7, 2021 Zoom Mini Meeting