All members of the Christian faith are called to serve as ministers in the world. Education for Ministry (EfM) is a tool that educates laity, teaching them to think theologically about the world around them.
EfM is a distance-learning program from the University of the South in Sewanee, Tenn., which is usually held within congregations. It is a four-year course consisting of weekly seminars, although many students take fewer than the full four years. The seminars meet nine months of the year. Each seminar group is made up of 6 to 12 people and a group mentor who facilitates and participates fully in all discussions.
The four years of study include the Old Testament, New Testament, History of Christianity, and Modern Theology. Students are given study materials and resource guides that allow them to continue their education outside of class. They are also asked to commit to a form of regular prayer or refection.
The main focus of the group is on theological reflection, which is a specific process that teaches students to think theologically about all of God’s creation and apply that thinking to daily life.
After completion of the four-year program, students are given a Certificate of Completion; for every year of class students receive 18 Continuing Education credits.
To join an EfM group or become a mentor in the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio, contact EfM Coordinator, the Rev. Brad Purdom. For more information on the program, click here.
EfM Mentor Training
Thursday August 8 - Saturday August 10, 2018
Foundations of Seminar Life: The purpose of mentor training is for participants to discern whether they have the desire and skills to be a mentor for the Education for Ministry program, and to provide ongoing training and support for experienced mentors with an EfM group. The event provides an opportunity for an EfM trainer to evaluate the skills of each trainee and to accredit those who qualify. Mentor training involves six to eight participants and one trainer.
Mentor Formation Training:A Formation Training is an event for more seasoned mentors. It is an opportunity to go deeper into their skills and to explore a topic relevant to mentoring an EfM group. They may expect to build community among more experienced mentors for mutual support, and to gain confidence in their leadership. The event fosters new learning and spiritual growth while still including elements foundational to EfM: worship, group life development, and theological reflection.
FORMATION OFFERING WILL BE POSTED SOON.
FORMATION EVENT CRITERIA
To be eligible to attend a formation training, one must have attended two training events and been accredited by the trainer at the second training as ready for formation training. Formation trainees must be active mentors who have led groups within the last 12-18 months. People whose last three trainings were non-Foundations of Seminar Life (formation or alternate training) trainings must do Mentor Training/Foundations of Seminar Life (Basic) as their fourth reaccreditation training.
Register is open at https://2018efm.eventbrite.com
EfM Groups in the Diocese of Ohio – 2017-2018
Contact Antoinette Taylor for more information.
Bay Village, St. Barnabas Church (6246)
- Meets on Thursdays evenings from 6-8:30 pm.
- Mentors: Diane Hexter and Rich Oldrieve
Cleveland, OH, Trinity Cathedral (5525)
- Meets Thursday evenings beginning September at 6:30 pm.
- Mentors: Antoinette Maria Ponzo (Toni)
Cleveland Heights, OH, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (5645)
- Meets Wednesday mornings, October until June, 9:15-11:45 am (one of two groups at this location)
- Mentors: Christina Sibilla and Mark Clark
Cleveland Heights, OH, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (1150)
- Meets Tuesday evenings 6:30-9:30 pm (dinner together first half hour) mid-September through late-May.
- Mentors: Josh Handley and admin, Katy Ptacek
Hudson, Christ Church (6179)
- Meets on Monday evenings beginning at 7:00 pm.
- Mentors: Gloria Gagich and Janet Daniels
Lakewood, Church of the Ascension (6380)
- Meets Monday evenings from 6:00-9:00 pm.
- Mentors: Diane Hexter and John Mohlar
Medina, St. Paul’s Church (5525)
- Meets Tuesday evenings at 5:00 pm.
- Mentor: The Rev. Dr. Charles E. Funston
Painesville, St. James Episcopal Church (5864)
- Meets Monday evenings, 7-9:30 pm, September through May.
- Mentor: Mark Clark
Sandusky, OH, Grace Episcopal Church (6751)
- Meets on Tuesdays beginning on April 17, 2018 at 5:30 pm.
- Mentors: The Rev. Jan Smith Wood
Youngstown, St. John’s Church(6430)
- Contact the parish for more information.
- Mentor: Gayle L. Catinella